04 January 2014

365 Project

My friend Sam, a professional photojournalist, turned me on to this project in 2011. The premise is that you take at least one photo every single day of the year and post it on-line.

People all over the world are doing this, too. It is fun to see other people's photos and to show off mine a bit. Of course, you cannot take a GREAT photo every day, but it is fun trying.

I completed this challenge in 2011 and 2012, but took a break in 2013. I am hankering to "test" myself again for the third time in 2014. It is not an easy task, but I am going for it again. Here is why I love the project:

1 - I have a daily goal.

2 - That goal may get me out of the house, even on a bad weather day. Right now there are at least 8 inches of snow on the ground (drifts much higher) and the temp is 14 degrees Fahrenheit, but I'm headed out shortly to get a nice snow photo.

3 - I get to meet people I would not have met by asking if I may take their photo. I've gotten into some wonderful conversations and made a few friends along the way.

4 - My photography skills have improved.

5 - I get feedback from strangers around the world who comment on my photo of the day. It is almost always positive, but sometimes a helpful hint to improve future shots is thrown in.

6 - When I get a comment, it is a real thrill, a personal connection to someone without ever meeting them in person. Also, I know a few of my friends check my work every day. I don't expect them to comment on each and every photo, but when they do it's a delight. A comment means I have touched some one in some way.

6 - I am exposed to the photo ideas of others. If I see something that touches me, I comment.

7 - It encourages and challenges my creative genes.

8 - It makes me feel good.

9 - It gives me a sense of accomplishment.

10 - The biggest and best reason to do it, is that I began to see the world in a whole different light. Now I look for details. When I walk down the street I am not thinking about my schedule or chores or bills or whatever else nags me. I am thinking, "Oh, that would make a cool photo" or "I never noticed that before." My world has become smaller, more personal, more real.

I carry my little point-and-shoot camera with me all the time now. I don't want to miss an opportunity. I have a "fancy" camera that I carry for events or family gatherings where I want to try for a special or complex shot.

This project has changed my life in such a positive and dramatic way. It has calmed my soul and opened up a whole new world of awareness. I love it.

If you are interested in this project for yourself, it is a great time of year to kick it off (although you can start at any time of the year). Keep in mind it can be started by anyone with any level of photography skill. Sign up at:
365project.org

You don't get unwanted advertisements or spam. I have not found one negative or spam-y thing relating to the site, so I can recommend it with confidence.

I've included some of my favorite photos, but you can see all my photos at:

365project.org/annrico1 




                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have visited any of these places, we would love to hear your comments. Or send us recommendations of places we should not miss.