27 August 2014

2014 Deb's WEST COAST Drive 4 - On to Ashland

Today's stats:
- Miles driven 246 
- High temp noticed 81 degrees
- Highest altitude noticed 2,130, not sure what pass

Today's haps:
Got up at 6am for coffee and scones, a last minute chat with Auntie, and then off to pick up the rent-a-car at 7:30am. It was a lipstick red Ford Focus. Very cute! I felt so cooool driving it that it shaved a few years off my mental life. The only thing better would have been a red convertible. Dang, why didn't I take a selfie?!

As I was checking the weather outlook for today, I set my phone down on Joan's coffee table. Had to stop back and pick it up (hate those second good-byes). It was on my route to the freeway though, so little time lost.


As I drove along I-5 to Ashland, I saw exit signs that brought back memories of previous trips--Crater Lake, Rogue River, Shady Cove. Roads were twisty-turny, hill'n'dale, but I wheeled it like a pro. Got delayed in traffic for about 45 minutes though as a big rig had overturned off the highway and there was a long back-up.


Got to the southern end of Ashland about 12:30pm. Long time airline buddies Don (Mike worked with him in DTW (Detroit) decades ago) and wife Joy, and their sweet black and white springer spaniel, Chadwick, were settled at a patio table.


Lunch was at Caldera Brewing Company (website). The four inside walls were lined with hundreds (maybe thousands) of brands of beer bottles. Mike and I have an East German (before the unification) pilsner bottle we got in Santa Fe years ago. I may send it to them. It would be a nice addition to their collection.




We four exchanged info as though no time had passed since our last get-together. Updates included mutual airline friends, the Budde family, family news, ailments!!, Segway stories, living in Oregon and Kalamazoo, amongst things. We chatted so vigorously that the waitress returned three times before we could concentrate on the menu. I had a veggie with fresh mozz sandwich (my go-to these days). Very tasty! We ordered and the continued our rambling reminiscences.


Our visit was too short, but sweet. Too quickly they headed back to their lovely home along the Rogue River and I headed to the hotel to meet my niece, Brooke.


I had asked for a ground floor room as I did not have Mike to lug my luggage up stairs. To accommodate that request, they gave me a family room--two bedrooms, two baths, connected by an alley kitchen. Way too big for my needs, but oh well. Could not complain.

I freshened up and my dear niece Brooke picked me up a bit later. She's lived in Ashland for a number of years now and recently graduated Southern Oregon U. She earned a Bachelor of Fine Art. Congrats, Gal, Uncle Mike and I are so proud of you!


No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have visited any of these places, we would love to hear your comments. Or send us recommendations of places we should not miss.