26 November 2014

2014 EUROPE by Rail 18 - Scotsman in Brugge

Time for dinner. We were looking for a spot that the hotel owners had recommended. In doing so we ran into a fellow dressed like a Shakespearean actor -- feathered hat, short velvet "skirt," and tights. He would "help us find the place we were looking for."

But instead he helped us into his shop which was down some dark winding alleys. We half expected to be jumped by his less than savory pack of friends. Mike kept his hand in his money pocket and I clutched my around-the-neck money purse with passports. We were a bit uncomfortable, but he shared (at about 100 words per minute) a good bit of history and tidbits about Brugge on the way.

Finally we were at his shop and he turned into a fast-talking, high-pressure salesman. It was difficult getting out without purchasing the artist friend's water color he was pushing, or without being rude. But somehow we did. I felt a bit sorry for the guy though, as he seemed so desperate.

We found our first choice restaurant was closed, so we went to another we had passed several times that day.  It was named the Restaurant De Gouden Kroes (the "golden tankard" as it was the former guild hall of goldsmiths way back when).  www.degoudenkroes.be/  if you can read Flemish (Belgium Dutch).

There was a fresh fish tank inside and on the porch, with lobster swimming around unaware of their destiny. Just about the only word we could read on the window menu was mussels. But there was also a statue of a golfer out front. So we were not exactly sure what type of cuisine we were in for. 
Once inside we were offered a menu in English. No Scotch eggs or haggis. Yay! We ordered langostino and smoked salmon appetizers. Off to a great start.

There were a few extra utensils on the table at each plate. One was a lobster cracker and another unknown little hook thingy. That was for the following surprise. We were served a complimentary cold shrimp and escargot pre-appetizer.
The little hook thingy was to get those escargots out of their shells. I had eaten "snail" before when I first met my real father and his then wife Marlene for the first time at Chez Paul in Chicago. That was 30 some years ago, but I remembered them tasting pretty good. I also remember a lot more garlic to get though the texture issue of these molluscan class gastropods.

Mike would not try them, but I did (to be polite). Here I did not experience the wonder of garlic to cover the long (about two inches) curly, slimy little critters. I think I ate three between gulps of a good red wine. After that I moved on to and polished off the shrimp.


Mike ordered mussels for is main course. He had been craving mussels from Brussels (OK, Brugge) for the whole trip. Now he was getting them. And they were wonderful. Biggest helping of mussels he had ever been served. So big that he could not even finish. Can you imagine!!!
I ordered half a lobster, fresh from the tank, I imagine. I'm glad they did not ask me to choose my own. That's getting a bit to personal. It was tasty and I especially loved the sauce.
The only down side was that I had to wear a lobster bib, tied on by the waiter. I really wanted to decline, but several folks around me wore them. A lady at another table did wave it off and the waiter seem shocked. So I'm glad I decided to go with the flow.

This place was a bit formal for us, or at least for how we were dressed at the moment. But they treated us graciously and the meal was wonderful.

Back at the hotel the big carriage gate door into the hotel and courtyard was closed and locked. Luckily I remembered the code to get in. The night man greeted us warmly. We verified the cab we had set up for our early morning departure to the train station.

With such full bellies, we had no choice but lie down. Yes, reading and blog noting to start, but soon counting zzzzz's.

Approximate walking route:

An aside:
Somehow we missed tasting Belgium waffles with whipped cream and strawberries. Oh, well something to look forward to next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have visited any of these places, we would love to hear your comments. Or send us recommendations of places we should not miss.