22 December 2014

2014 EUROPE by Rail 26 - Light Show

We had not had lunch, so after a brief respite we ventured out for an early dinner. Back through the market to the schnitzel joint. We pretty much had a repeat of our first night's meal here.
Even sat at the same table and had the same waitress (in photo). Mike had the same schnitzel dinner and I had a variety of veggie sides as before. Still just as good as two days earlier.

We browsed the night market for a while until Mike's feet gave out. He returned to the hotel while I was determined to see the light show at the cathedral, albiet on my own.

I wandered back under the train station tunnel, along the Spree River, over the bridge, past the side of the Cathedral and into the open plaza in front of it. No worries, as many were strolling the same way I was. The plaza was near full as we arrived.



There was interesting people watching to keep me amused until the show started. This first shot shows a regular ol' night time view of the Berlin Cathedral.
 This is the projection booth where the displays originated.
The following shots record some of the artistic light displays projected onto the building. They don't really do justice to this virtual art, but you get the idea. 











There was no music here, just people whispering among themselves. That seemed appropriate for this church setting. I heard some of the other locations (like at Brandenburg Gate) have coordinating music. That would be cool, too.

About 21:00, I decided it was late enough for me to be out on my own. On the way back to the hotel I stopped in a variety store and bought Mike a gift set of  4711 cologne. When we first met, he wore it regularly and I loved it to. He hadn't had any for a LONG time and we had been talking about it on this trip. We had just not remembered to pick some up.

When I went into the store they said they were closing. Bummer, this was my last opportunity because tomorrow we were headed to Amsterdam on another train. No time for shopping in the morning.

They asked what I needed and I said, "4711 for my husband." They smiled and winked between themselves and quickly showed me where it was before locking the door.

I also passed the fabulous pastry store we had looked into and drooled over so many times on our walks. I was going to buy a tidbit, but figured Mike had already bought some on his way back. When I got to our room, yep, he had.

I presented him with the 4711. He was delighted and thanked me properly.

An aside: A week or so after we got home, there was a piece on Euromaxx on this Light Festival. It showed some shots at the Brandenburg Gate event, so we didn't miss it entirely. Very cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have visited any of these places, we would love to hear your comments. Or send us recommendations of places we should not miss.