13 September 2016

2015 ITALY Florence 36 - On the Hunt for Bulgari

After that big meal, Mike wanted to rest. So he hopped into clean sheets and I hit the road. There were several things I needed to buy, especially Bulgari Noir (black), an Italian soap.

If you have read the Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich, you know Ranger. He is the swarthy-suave guerrilla character that often appears out of nowhere to "save the day."

Anyway he used Bulgari Noir, so I bought a bar for Mike's Christmas stocking one year and we both loved it. I've looked for it often since then with little luck. I did find a similar soap in NYC a couple of years ago, but it was not Noir; it was Verde (green) and not as nice an aroma to our noses. Still good enough to try. I think we paid near $20 for one bar at that point.

It started to drizzle. Umbrellas popped up, although I did not have one. I plunged ahead. I was not going to melt!!

On the Piazza della Republicca's west side, I again viewed the triumphal arch with the engraved message: "The ancient center of the City restored from age-old squalor to new life." The year built was 1885!
There was also the fantastic carousel we saw the night before, a marionette show, and the ever present Apple store (no pix).
I came across the Centrale Market and browsed there a bit. So many products. Here is one of several pizzerias, a mushroom-truffle shop, "little" Eataly, and a chocolate truffle shop.

Along my wanderings I ran into the train station, which was good. We would be leaving there tomorrow for the continuation of our trip. I found it was too far to walk with our luggage on the uneven cobblestone streets, so we would cab it.

On other streets I found so many interesting shops, including a pen store, the gelateria that Chef John recommended, a cinema, and a lace shop. Too many more to list.


 

Finally, a bit wet but happy, I found the store that sells Bulgari, along with other luxury cosmetics and body products. Alas, no Noir. I was "reduced" to buying the Verde again (or a Red). OK, not perfect, but scored and at the "bargain" price of $45 for a three pack!!! I don't feel bad as that was my only purchase just for me. Check other Bulgari products at: http://www.bulgari.com/en-us/ , but I don't see ANY soaps there.


Now backtracking through alleys and squares to our warm and cozy room. Mike and I weren't much hungry, but finished the chocolate truffles from our first night's dinner up the hill at La Legendde Dei Frati. We were sorry to be leaving our friends the next day, but happy to slow done the pace at our next destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have visited any of these places, we would love to hear your comments. Or send us recommendations of places we should not miss.