07 July 2018

2018 ICELAND Blue Lagoon 26 - Walk on the Wet and Wild Side

Most wanted to lay back for a while and enjoy the luxury and window views. I couldn't sit still so decided to take a walk. On arrival to the hotel I noticed a trail head leading into the mossy, snowy lava fields.

I hopped on the trail at the top of the loop in this pix. It ended in the public entrance parking lot of the Blue Lagoon and was maybe a half mile one way. Notice the warnings.


This is a view of our rooms from the trail. It was farther away than it looks as I am using my zoom lens, so still private.
I was finally able to see up close what the "green" was that we had spotted all around Iceland. You may have noticed it in many photos. It felt almost furry and quite thick and hardy. Here are some close-ups of the various flora amongst the abundant lava rock.


Signs reminded that the moss is flammable and fragile.
After a little ways I found water. This is the actual color of the lagoon. Average water temp is 98-104F degrees.

Natural minerals, such as silica and sulphur, make up the white substance, but there is no odor. The consistency is slightly thicker than wet baby powder.


Here are some more pix. I just couldn't take enough. So fascinating. These don't show it very well, but steam from the hot water wafting into the cold air from everywhere.


Across the way (and near the hotel) was another geothermal plant taking advantage of the earth's natural heating system.

I returned the same route. Met very few people on the the way.
I wondered who left this memento!
The whole experience was mystical, inspirational. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have visited any of these places, we would love to hear your comments. Or send us recommendations of places we should not miss.