10 July 2018

2018 ICELAND Blue Lagoon 28 - Private Swim

After perusing the public lagoon, we motored back to the hotel. We met in the common area for our sandwich dinner. We grabbed ginger water and citrus water provided by the hotel to compliment our meal. Refreshing!

An aside: We don't have many photos of our swim time. I was worried my camera would get damaged with salty steamy water. Eye glasses didn't work well either. Hard to take good photos with foggy vision.


After dinner we prepped for our dip in the hotel's private lagoon. There were lockers for glasses and such. We passed though the mandatory shower. Then picked up swim noodles and proceeded out for a splash.

There was a small indoor pool you walked through to get to the outdoor "pool" and lagoon. You could dip underwater to get outside or push a button to open a half door. We opted to open it and there we were. Waters ranged between 98-102F degrees.

The "pool" was squared off. There were buckets of white silica around if you wanted to give yourself a facial / mask treatment. I decided to try it. I left it on for a bit (long enough to mostly dry). When I splashed it off, I found the water was salty and stingy to the eyes.

Would definitely do it again though because my skin felt silky. Later I found a fresh water fountain at poolside which would have done the trick more easily for rinsing.

Under our feet was a thick layer of silica. You gooshed your toes and heels around to give yourself a fabulous foot massage. I'm sure the dry skin on our feet was melting away in this fine silica beauty treatment.

First we explored the left leg of the lagoon which was shorter. Then we passed through an open gate area taking us into the right leg. This was wider and longer with a little island. It was not squared off like the pool, but was lined with wood fence and natural lava rock for privacy. At the end was a little water foss that turned into a creek which continued on to big lagoon.

There were only a half dozen bobbing bodies sharing the huge milky blue space with us. Each person or couple found their own private area to relax in. We floated and bounced around for at least an hour and a half in the quite peacefulness. It was so warm and soothing...the best bath you could ever imagine. It was very hard to leave even though we looked like shriveled prunes.





We dropped off our floaty noodles and headed for the shower to rinse off the salty water and silica. We saw a little girl with a case of psoriasis. It is said these waters help to relieve that condition and other skin diseases. I believe it because my minor case was cleared up with only two dips. Guess I'd have to move to Iceland to relieve it permanently though. It is also supposed to help with joint stiffness and arthritic diseases.

Later I had trouble getting back into my locker to retrieve camera, glasses, etc. The same little girl came over and gave a lesson on how to work the dials to get it open. What a sweetie! We changed back into our robes and flaps and headed to our rooms to chillax for the night.

I haven't really mentioned the Aurora Borealis since night two, but I had been on the alert every night without success of a sighting. About midnight I woke and checked the window. I saw a golden glow on the horizon. I couldn't decided if that was or was not a version of the AB.

I went to the desk to ask. He said, "Hmmm. What room are you in?" I gave him the room number and he laughed. "You are facing the lights of the Keflavik Airport." The joke was on me. I laughed, too.

We talked AB a little and he advised there are nine levels of AB. Nine is the most colorful, vibrant, and swirly. I described what we had seen in Skaftafell, gray and more fog-like with a little movement. He said it sounded like a three. He said a three was the first AB he had ever seen and wondered what the fuss was about. But when he saw some eights and nines, he was astounded and amazed by their magical beauty.

I meandered back to the room. On the way I got a nice night shot of the hotel's mystic waters.


A second aside: The Blue Lagoon is not a natural wonder. Check out the secret story here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Lagoon_(geothermal_spa)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have visited any of these places, we would love to hear your comments. Or send us recommendations of places we should not miss.