19 June 2020

Russia 2019 (74) - A Wrap on RUSSIA

Rather than an email, go here for a better view of this blog entry: www.TrippingWithMikeAndDeb.blogspot.com. To follow, sign-up at the bottom of this page to receive email notices when new blogs are posted.
We returned home from this Viking river cruise on June 1, 2019. So it has taken me 74 entries and a few days past a year to finish my Russian trip blog. I'm happy it is done, but also a little sad because it was so much fun reviewing and re-living the trip. Such an interesting country. Plus I learned more about Russia during research along the way.
There is always the caveat that I might have gotten facts wrong, but I tried my best to be accurate. If you see something incorrect, you can always send a comment and I'll fix it.

Once you get familiar with something (like miniature doll houses or whatever) you seem to notice things about that topic everywhere. So here are some things we have experienced since we returned home.

My fun friend Jerolyn, who has visited Russia 16 times and helped us prepare for this trip, got us involved with the Kalamazoo Russian Club. She was also instrumental in creating a "sister city" relationship between Pushkin, Russia and Kalamazoo, and having Russian artists display and sell their works here.
The club invited us to give a slide show presentation at one of their meetings. It was well-received with lots of oohs and aahs for the photos.
We also attended a "Russian Weekend" of events put on by the club. It started with Friday's Art Hop display of Russian art and things to buy. (Can't find that pix at the moment.)

Then on Saturday, three lectures on Western Michigan University's campus--one on the Russian Orthodox religion, another on Ukraine-Russia's controversial history, and one other.

Sunday was a Russian Concert and Cuisine program.



I entered one of my photos in travel writer Peter Greenberg's photo-of-the-week contest and got this one of Red Square published online. No prize, just glory.

I read the Hermitage history book given to us by the Viking Company after our Hermitage tour. It was long and detailed with lots of Russian names that were new to me, but also fascinating and interesting.
And also this fictional history book I grabbed free at a Russian Club event. It jumps around a lot in time and place, and a little bit of a bodice ripper. But a good mystery page-turner. I enjoyed that it was set in several places we have visited--SP, Amsterdam, NYC. 
I also read "A Gentleman in Moscow" by Amor Towles, another really good read. Not a lot of history points but another page turner.

Watched a 5-hour tour of the Hermitage Museum on Youtube. The first part is pretty slow because it has dance pieces included, so I fast forwarded through much of that. Probably watched the whole thing in less than two hours. I used my right arrow button to click by five seconds at a time, so as not to miss anything. Was excited to see the Winter Palace again and had time to really study the rooms and decor. Saw things I had not noticed in our quick walk-through. Wish there would have been commentary, but worth seeing for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49YeFsx1rIw

Most importantly we kept in touch with our new riverboat friends Donna and Jim (left) of the Columbus, Ohio area. Mike's sister Kathy lives near there also and when we last visited Jim and Kathy (middle), we all met for dinner at the Pearl Restaurant. Then later they stopped by Kalamazoo for a quick visit. It was so good to see them on both occasions and review our wonderful travels to Russia. 
Although pricey, we highly recommended a visit to Russia on Viking river cruise. Although at first I had apprehensions, it was all wonderful. So, that is a wrap on Russia. 

I don't know what I'll write about in this blog next. No trips planned due to C-19, but maybe will go back and review trips from before I started the blog. Not sure I can remember details, but we have some great photos to share. Please check back periodically.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have visited any of these places, we would love to hear your comments. Or send us recommendations of places we should not miss.